Virginia Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Exceed Your Expectations by Choosing Our Firm
The Motorcycle Law Group in Virginia is one of the state’s most trusted legal teams for all cases related to motorcycle accidents. If you were riding your motorcycle when a negligent driver crashed into you, then you know that you can depend on us for everything your case needs to succeed. We are highly experienced attorneys who can argue for a fair settlement with insurance companies or take them to court for intense litigation. But you should also know that we are riders, too. Many of our lead attorneys love to ride motorcycles for transportation and recreation, so we know about what you are going through and the challenges you face when you ride.
Why Should You Call Motorcycle Law Group?
- We are known as The Firm That Rides® with real motorcyclists on our staff who know firsthand what it is like to be challenged by an insurance company.
- We are local attorneys with law offices located in Richmond and Newport News to make it simple for any rider in Virginia to get the legal counsel they need.
- We bring decades of legal experience to every case that we manage, so our clients know they can trust in our knowledge and insight.
- We offer contingency fee agreements to motorcycle accident clients, which let you seek compensation without worrying about how to afford legal counsel. We get no fee unless we win.
Would you like to know more about your legal options and our services? You can dial (855) 529-7433 now and speak with one of our Virginia motorcycle accident lawyers. We are always happy to hear from new and returning clients, so there is no such thing as a bad time to call us.
Virginia Motorcycle Laws
Did you know that the motorcycle laws in Virginia are not just important to follow to stay out of legal trouble? They also must be followed if you want to best preserve your chances of getting full compensation after a motorcycle accident. If you were breaking any of the laws and the rules of the road, then you could be mostly liable for your damages, which can defeat your chances of getting any compensation at all.
Two important motorcycle laws in Virginia include:
- Lane-splitting: The act of riding a motorcycle in between two occupied lanes of traffic is called lane-splitting. It is illegal in Virginia and can be penalized with a ticket or citation. If you were hit by a car while lane-splitting, then the driver will have an easier time blaming you for what happened.
- Helmet use: All motorcyclists regardless of age or experience must wear a motorcycle helmet at all times while their vehicle is in operation. If you suffered a head injury in your crash but did not have a helmet on, then you could be blamed for any damages related to your head or brain injury.
It is crucial that you understand these laws and know how to fight against any arguments that say you were breaking the law when the motorcycle accident happened. Virginia uses a pure contributory negligence rule, which requires you to be 0% at fault for your crash to retain the right to sue the other party or parties for compensation. If you are even 1% at fault or liable, then your case will end.
As part of our service to motorcycle riders in Virginia, we maintain up-to-date, annotated versions of state laws and statutes for Virginia, as well as several other states where we practice. Getting accurate information starts by choosing a trusted source, and our Virginia motorcycle accident lawyers are immersed in these laws on a daily basis.
Motorcycle Safety in Virginia
The majority of motorcycle accidents are preventable because they are caused by driver negligence, not random chance. Of the 92 Virginia motorcycle-related fatalities in 2020, 16.3% involved distracted driving as a contributing factor, 35.8% involved intoxication, and 57.6% involved speeding. In all of these cases, the hazard or mistake that caused the crash was a deliberate choice on someone’s part.
According to data from the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), motorcycle accident fatality risks were highest among those aged 21-35 in 2020. Those riders accounted for 39.1 % of all motorcycle-related injuries and 57.6% of all motorcycle-related fatalities. This is a change from recent past years when riders in the 45-60 age group made up the greatest portion of those involved in motorcycle-related fatalities.
Our Virginia motorcycle accident lawyers study motorcycle accident trends each year to see if there are any signs of growing issues that might be pertinent to our clients’ cases. When picking an attorney to work on your case, make sure you choose someone who takes the situation seriously and views it from multiple angles.
Representation In & Out of Court
Motorcycle accident cases can end in your favor through a settlement or an award. Our legal team has the experience needed to steer your case toward success, no matter which outcome is reached. Both a settlement and award serve the purpose of compensating an injured motorist. Being fully compensated is The Firm That Rides® goal in every case.
Below is the difference between a settlement and court award:
- Settlement: A settlement is agreed upon in a conference room setting between yourself, the opposition, and attorneys representing both sides. Many motorcycle accident claims that are backed by legitimate, concrete evidence end in a settlement. The insurance company does not want to get taken to trial and pay more in court and attorney fees. If it seems like you have a strong chance of winning, then we will prepare to negotiate for a settlement.
- Award: An award can be issued to you after your case goes to court before a judge and/or jury. Insurance companies do not like to go to court, but they are not completely opposed to the idea. If the insurer thinks you do not have a strong case, then it will try to scare you off entirely by refusing to settle and forcing you to litigate. Do not worry. The Firm That Rides® is also the firm that litigates with confidence and tenacity.
Take the Stress Out of Your Case Today
Managing all aspects of a motorcycle accident case is not easy. The situation will be even more stressful if you are recovering some severe injuries like a head injury, back injury, or road rash. Do not force yourself to go through this harrowing time alone. Team up with The Motorcycle Law Group and our Virginia motorcycle accident lawyers right now. We are always standing by to help when it is needed the most.
Decades of Experience
Our firm has been representing personal injury clients for over 30 years.
We Put Clients First
We make ourselves available after hours and on weekends for our clients. We'll get back to you the same day, even on holidays.
Giving Back to the Community
Our team is proud to support causes close to the motorcycling community as well as educate lawmakers on causes that impact riders and donate part of attorney fees to motorcycle rights for legislation.
We're a Firm That Rides
As avid motorcycle riders, each attorney with our firm understands the unique situations that motorcyclists face every day on the road.
Personable attorneys with expertise in personal injury and a specialty in motorcycle accidents.” - DJ Stephens
“I had contacted the office looking for help, and Matt Danielson and Daisha Schwear went above and beyond to assist me with my case. They made me feel very relieved, kept me up to date on everything, and I would without a doubt use them again. I wasn't able”- Andrew Day
“After being involved in a very serious accident with multiple injuries. My husband and I called on Matt Danielson for advice. It was the best call we ever made. From that moment on the only thing we had to do was concentrate on healing. Matt and his team t”- Christine Turner